We have been sick, sick, sick around here. I came up with some great ideas for blogs while laying around in a feverish stupor for two days. Of course, now I cannot remember them. They were philosophical, deep, profound. Really. :0)
So all you get is this quick update that we are still passing around the all-over-flu (YES, iin the SUMMER!) and otherwise we are well.
Alex has been at his nature camp all week. He loves it. All day long they trudge through creeks, forests, wetlands and fields. He gets to pick up creatures and get wet. What a blast for him.Psalm 32:7-9 Oh to train up discerning men...
You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Selah
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.
Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.
This week we began the tangible lesson on FREEDOM. I wanted to teach them that FREEDOM really does have a cost of some sort. Frequently when they go outside they are gone for hours, who knows where, and they come home late. A mother's nightmare. NOW they get to come home every 15 minutes for the first week for check ins. If they are responsible with that the next week they get 30 minute check ins. Then they get 45 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours etc. When they miss a check in they will start over at 15 minutes. Sound crazy?Well, no more wondering where they are- they can't go too far and still make it home- and they are earning freedom by being responsible, AND I don't yell or have to ground them any more- I would rather they be outside anyway! So if you have a better idea, feel free to share.
TRYING to teach and to motivate.

2 comments:
Well I'm guessing original fights for freedom involved a whole lot of yelling, and ummm protests, slavery, weapons, injury... Yah, I guess 15 minute check-ins is an easier route! ;)
I think that's a great idea....... you'll have to let me know how it works. :-)
Hope everyone is all better. Flu in summer, or anytime - yuck!
Post a Comment