
The Lord knows how I feel about driving, about traffic. He so very often uses the car to tame my heart. Today I drove some friends to the airport for their 2 week jaunt in Ireland. On the way home I had classic traffic issues on 75N.
Now I try to plan ahead- potty trips before I hit the road, traffic reports to see what's going on, watch the other side of the road to see what I may have to deal with on the trip back, I even called my hubby to get an up-to-date report 'cause it looked a bit tight on 75N as I was heading South. I tried.
I even went through the mental counsel as I drove North: you know 71 is worse- stay the course; you know that the middle lane moving faster is just a lie as soon as you switch lanes it will slow down and the left lane will move ahead- stay the course; you COULD get around the semi really quick and go
back in the left lane- but just stay the course. Be still. Accept.
It is just that the middle lane never slowed. I was stuck looking at the back of the truck, and couldn't see ahead, and was hitting the brake constantly (since the truck was as well). Stop. Go. Stop. Go. On the HIGHWAY! The middle lane just kept moving ahead faster and faster. I SO wanted to change lanes. It is a really tense situation for me. The middle lane was WINNING. I was being LEFT BEHIND. And I couldn't see anything either. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.
Then it hit me. Another life lesson for you, Dear Daughter. Just like in the Word:
Psalm 119:104-106
From Your precepts I get understanding;
Therefore I hate every false way.
Your Word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.
I have sworn and I will confirm it,
That I will keep Your righteous ordinances.
His lamp and light often only show you what is right ahead, just in front of you. Do you trust Me, daughter? Do you trust where I lead? Do you trust the route I will take? Do you trust My process?
Well, NO. I wanted away from the truck. I only occasionally got a glimpse ahead when on a curve or hill and I wanted a clear view of the road ahead. NO. I wanted to go faster, to keep up with the others and to succeed. Even to win. NO. I had a plan and a purpose mapped out for my afternoon and this truck got in my way. It hampered my plans. Changed them even. Drat.
Then it hit again. This is exactly how I live my everyday life. How often do I fight the Lord in this very way?! I MADE myself stay behind it as a sort of discipline. I told myself I had to stay behind it until after 275, THEN I could switch lanes and plow ahead. Baby steps in discipline. Ironically I switched as soon as I cleared 275 and what do you think happened? So predictable.
The ever-faithful Lord wanted to remind me of the things in my heart, of they many ways I fight His plan and purpose and process. I am not sovereign- I know that does not surprise any of you, but occasionally it seems to surprise me. :0) So on I drove, His way. I got back to their home safely and even more relaxed than when I began. I dropped off their car. I decided to enjoy the ride and the music playing and He was kind enough to return me to my own home in one piece albeit much more humble. Much humbled.
May the good Lord reign!!!
I do tend to think my way of going will be a heart attack on the highway- sorry to the other drivers. But then- you'll have driven me to it!!!

1 comment:
Hey Arielle,
I'm just catching up with your posts. So encouraged to hear of God's living Spirit so active in your life. Press on! Press on!
Love,
Cynthia
Post a Comment