
I entered this in the comment section of a dear sister's blog:
http://dea-frommyhearttoyours.blogspot.com/2008/09/vote-biblically-and-be-light-for-him.html
Tell me what YOU think about this issue...
OK, so I guess I will put in my two cents worth. Well, you can have it for free. :) You said you missed me.... I also see no evidence in the Scriptures that commands a woman may not work outside the house. I see lots of reasons why it is great for her to not have to do so. I see it more and more difficult in our culture to fellowship d/t the fatigue of the women (who tend to hold the "social" calendar-planning, cleaning, cooking for said fellowship times) and the fact that they are running to and fro taking care of so many diverse matters. I see how no one being home to take care of kids and chores etc means huge shifts in our culture that I don't like seeing. It is difficult to make a "lovely" and peace filled home when distracted by so much work and business. It is difficult to reach our kid's hearts and characters when away from them more hours than not most of their lives. Of course mothers being home all day doesn't guarantee perfect outcome either. All that comes under His sovereignty. But the verses that teach us to love our families, to have things in order at home, to be an excellent wife do not say-only stay home once you marry. The Proverbs 31 wife seems to be busy telling her servants what to do at her home all day while she is off buying, selling, trading. She DOES do many things for her family and things are in order- so to speak- at home, but she isn't sitting around the house all day doing it herself. It clearly shows her in commerce and the community as well as at home. Her HEART is turned home to her family and to quality care for them, but she is also out of the home busy as well. It seems that the Lord is concerned about her motives and her character more than where she is busy all day. The Scriptures also command women be taught. Well, why? So we can have book clubs at home with the other ladies around us (really difficult to find now a days cause they are all at work where we apparently should not be-so how to befriend them today?) and appear knowledgeable? Why teach them? Can't we just go to our husbands and church elders for information if we don't really need to be taught? Why homeschool my sons? I am just a woman. In the whole Bro/Sister thing of things- should I even teach them? Seriously. Think about that all the way through. As for voting, we are commanded to respect our government- even tho it is flawed. GOD puts the leaders in place. HE asks us to respect them even when clearly unrepentant sinners. OUR current system asks that we vote in leaders. I am not personally thrilled about any current Pres. candidate or the VP for that matter, but my current system asks me to pick one. So I will. Be they man or woman. I will pick what I think is the most Godly of choices and trust God with the outcome. Also I'll be praying. :0) Clearly in today's society we have few men seeking to be Godly leaders at home or in the country. They are not all evil, but not that great at leading or of strong character. Therefore I am not afraid of the Lord putting a woman in the office of leadership if no man is up to it at the moment. That is HIS choice. It is not a sin for a woman to lead the country or Deborah would have been an abomination to the Lord. Yet HE put her there. Yes, I know, she was the exception to the rule. I am not thrilled with women leaders as a whole- hormones and babies and homes make her a torn heart. Men do not seem to be wired to intentionally take care of all that unless pressed to when widowed or left by wives. But still, the Scriptures never say it was bad to be led by Deborah. I agree with women not teaching from the pulpit, but I have seen the Lord use some for His good and glory, and I struggle to call them apostate. I just want Jesus preached. It is all about Him and not so much about all this lifestyle stuff. Really. The heart matters more to Him than the externals. The externals DO testify to what is in the heart, but they are only a window to the soul- they are NOT THE testimony. Who Jesus is and What He did is the testimony. We need to respond with love and compassion and truth (about Him) and so forth. The color of your clothes, the beat of your music and whatnot do NOT save or even DRAW others to Christ. That is the Spirit's work. Again, we tend to put too much emphasis on our won works. Also she is not in sin with her own husband because HE has not asked her to step down. He is has freed her up by taking on some of the responsibilities at home. If this is OK with HIM, who are we to accuse her of disrespecting him? It is between them. Again Scriptures do not say that he can't help out at home. Please tell me you don't know of any verses that say so. :0) I understand your arguments. Really. I especially understand the heart behind them that truly loves her Lord, her husband and her son. I understand that you want to honor them all and glorify the Lord in your time on this earth. God is so good to us, Dea. It makes sense that you would want to sing His praises and be found faithful. I only caution you to read His Word carefully. There is very little in it about lifestyle and very much in it about our hearts and our character. Oh that we, His children and some of His visible evidence in this world, could but be humble, meek, loving and joyful creatures. Oh that we could be so in love with Him that those around us would see that they are missing something. Obama, McCain, Palin and that other VP guy. Does it really matter, in the big picture, which one the Lord puts in the white house? I will do my part and pay attention and vote for the one that I believe is most inline with a utopian America where God is valued. Then I will pray and trust the Lord for all the rest. As for calling Palin a feminist unChristlike woman: well, I can pray for her too and trust that the Lord is sovereign over her and her family as well. If He needs for her to make changes then He will make sure it happens. She needs our prayers not criticism. She gets enough of that from the world. We can off her something better- prayer and love.
3 comments:
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Ari, and this was good for my torn working-mom heart to read today!
Thank you for typing all that out! Thank you for pointing us to the heart of the matter and not the specifics of how that appears on the outside of each person. Prescribing external actions is a shortcut that leads only to white-washed tombs, not real heart-change.
Good Red-letter reference, Joy!
Way to be an example of a woman in the work-force whose heart is most definitely turned to home, Jaime.
Aren't we are all trying to figure out just what it is that pleases God- day in and day out wherever we are. Then He steps into our lives and strips us more and more of our STUFF and we are left with Christ- the Perfect Pleasure of God that we are to imitate. Heart out.
We'll just keep trying. All of us in our own ways.
Post a Comment