
Click on the above link for a fun greeting from us!
Time, days, weeks, years, money, expectations and so on?! They just seem to vaporize before our eyes! Mine anyway! The Lord tells us to be mindful of every thought and word and yet I find they flit about me without nearly enough intentionality. I MEAN to pay attention. I really do. I have Very Good Intentions, and then I find another week, month, year has gone by and I am still playing catch up.
The Lord keeps telling me to simplify, and I keep muddying up life with many good things that are detracting from the great, the best. Here is an example: the above link to the fun elf dance should have taken me what 15-20 minutes? It took 40 minutes. In that time I could have cleaned the bathrooms, gotten dinner ready for tonight, planned Isaac's 6th grade curriculum for January (at least gotten a good start) or many other fine choices. There is nothing wrong with the fun elf dance. It just took longer than expected and all this small stuff adds up to a full day of not really anything. Ya know?
Another example: I was watching Larry Kudlow last night (I tend to watch him when I am brain dead and ill-as I had the stomach flu yesterday, odd I know) and they were talking about the need for Americans to SAVE MONEY right now during this time of economic breakdown. But we just signed a contract on Tuesday for thousands of dollars of new window and doors. Now we did not plan to do this now, but a brick was thrown through our window while we were in Indiana for Thanksgiving-and we don't live anywhere near the hood! So, rather than replace one 16 yo builder's grade window in the front of our house we are replacing them all. Sure we will save on utilities, but that is not what we had planned. When will the debt end?! We also got to replace all 4 tires on my car last month, oh the fun.
I keep meaning to teach the boys how to study the Bible well & journal, how to cook, Dave Ramsey's tools for finances, manners, the rest of Young Peacemakers, etc and yet another week goes by, another month, another year and soon they will be gone. No pressure, huh?! I really want to prepare them well for their futures.
Expectations, well, I am glad that the Lord is constantly disillusioning those! However I do want to have goals, and make decisions that actually move me toward these goals rather than mucking up time, talents, treasures and keeping me from those goals. It just seems as time goes on I am more distracted and busy and unclear than ever. I cannot stand this. I really want 2009 to be about the things that matter most, and not find that yet another year has gone by without seeing the best pursued.
How about you? For what do you yearn? What do you constantly find on your mind as you begin a new year soon?
I am trying to really really get that the small things add up quickly to something big. That could be in your favor or against it. Be careful. Be intentional!

1 comment:
I am so proud that I guessed you would be disco elves. I had seen Abigail in country and disco versions so I was trying to guess which one you would be! Very cute.
Post a Comment